AHEC West has coordinated health professions student rotations since 1977.
The Clinical Education program facilitates:
- Opportunities for health professions students from the University of Maryland system and other health professions programs to complete rotations in Western Maryland to learn about the unique challenges, rewards and opportunities of practicing in rural and small town communities.
- Exposing students placed in Allegany, Garrett, Washington, and Frederick counties and nearby areas of West Virginia to patient-centered practices that underscore the dedication of healthcare professionals and increase the students’ cultural sensitivity to underserved/rural populations.
- Engaging students to consider practice in Western Maryland or other rural/underserved areas.
- Opportunities for students from Western Maryland to reconnect to their community by completing some of their health professions clinical rotations at home.
- Engaging the many talented health practitioners in the area to teach future health professionals and to stay connected with new approaches being taught in health professions programs in their disciplines.
Clinical Education Application for Placement/Housing
SUCCESS OF THE CLINICAL EDUCATION PROGRAM is due to the nearly 30,000 hours of annual volunteer teaching by Western Maryland health care professionals who share their knowledge, skills, and dedication to rural/underserved practice, and serve as an inspiration to future health professionals.
STUDENT UPDATE PAGE
Addictions Support Services
A grief-support group for family members and friends of those who have died from addiction meets the second Monday of the month in Cumberland. Click HERE for information.
Caring Family & Friends is a support group for adults with family and friends who are dealing with addiction. The group meets the third Wednesday of the month at the Western Maryland Health system. For information click HERE.