The AHEC West service area includes Frederick, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett counties in Maryland as well as counties in nearby Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Most of the AHEC West region is designated as a Health Professional Shortage Area.
AHEC West’s activities would not be possible without the support of its many partners and preceptors. AHEC West does not provide health care, but strives to improve health care’s quality and accessibility by working with those who do.
As an agency, AHEC West facilitates and/or provides:
- Clinical education for health professions students
- Experiences for students interested in health careers such as summer programs for high school students, mentorship, and academic assistance with follow-up through college, health professions school, and beyond
- Continuing education programs for regional health professionals
- Geriatric interprofessional experiences for students and continuing education for geriatric providers and caregivers
- Organization of and participation in coalitions and task forces on priority concerns about health care
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Joe Hoffman – Chairperson
- Carol Bass – Vice Chairperson
- Cheryl Lynn Kane – Secretary
- Griffin Detrick – Treasurer
- Carol Bass, IBCLC, RLC, Garrett County Health Department
- Stephen Bortz, Garrett Regional Medical Center
- Cindy Bridges, RN, MS, MBA, Western Maryland Health System
- Thomas Chappell, MD, retired
- Richard Colgan, MD, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Kathy Condor, BA, Allegany College of Maryland
- Griffin Detrick, CPA, Archway Station
- Jennifer Glotfelty, LMSW, Thomas B. Finan Center
- Y. Michelle Harman, MEd, NBCT, Garrett County Board of Education
- Joe Hoffman, PhD, Frostburg State University
- Cheryl Lynn Kane, RN, MS, Allegany County Health Department
- Rod MacRae, MA, MPH, Washington County Health Department
- Michael Motter, PsyD, VA HBPC
- Diane Romaine, DMD, Diane D. Romaine and Associates
- Beth Smolko, MMS, PA-C, Frostburg State University
AHEC West serves Garrett, Allegany, Washington, and Frederick counties in Maryland, with some programs serving clients in nearby Mineral County, West Virginia and Bedford County, Pennsylvania.
Included in the service area are three federally qualified health centers, four dental clinics, and six hospitals, all of which work with AHEC West to meet the healthcare needs of the area’s overall population. Most of the counties served qualify as Medically Underserved Areas and are greatly challenged in the recruitment and retention of healthcare professionals. In more recent years, we’ve begun to serve other counties west of Baltimore.
CIVIL RIGHTSWE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE
Nondiscrimination and Accessibility Requirements Notice
AHEC West and its Western Maryland Health Insurance Connector program complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. AHEC West does not exclude people or treat them differently, because of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex.
● Provides free auxiliary aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as qualified sign language interpreters and written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats)
● Provides free language assistance services to people whose primary language is not English, such as qualified interpreters and information written in other languages
If you need these services, contact David Stewart at 301-501-5057
If you believe AHEC West has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex, you can file a grievance in writing by mail or email with Melissa Clark, Civil Rights Coordinator. If you need help filing a grievance, Ms. Clark is available to help you. Ms. Clark’s contact info is below:
You also may file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/